Friday, April 1, 2011

A is for Adversity

My dictionary defines adversity as: condition of unhappiness, misfortune, or distress. Well, I would like to define adversity as something different. How about a welcomed guest or a great teacher?

When adversity comes it appears to be a wolf in sheep's clothing. Something brining gloom, destruction, and misery. Let's step back and turn it around. Could it be possible that adversity could be a sheep in wolves's clothing? It is may appear awful on the outside at first glance but as we stay with it for awhile we start to see that it is really a lamb sent to help us.

Here are some quotes that I have loved that explain it far better than I. Enjoy.

DOCTRINE AND COVENANTS 121:7-8
7. My son, peace be unto thy soul; thine adversity and thine afflictions shall be for a small moment;
8. And then, if thou endure it well, God shall exalt thee on high; thou shall triumph over all they foes.

Isaiah 30:20
20. And though the Lord give you the bread of adversity, and the water of affliction, yet shall not thy teachers be removed into a corner any more, but thine eyes shall see thy teachers.

Lastly one of my favorite quotes of all time:
Tomorrow's post- B is for Bubble Gum

Photobucket

8 comments:

Grandma Honey said...

I especially like from the scripture above:
"but thine eyes shall see thy teachers."

I had never noticed that line before.
I like the concept that we teach ourselves according to what we go through.

Brianna said...

Thank you for helping me see adversity in a different light.

Brianna said...

Thank you for helping me see adversity in a different light.

Susan Anderson said...

This is excellent, Karen.

Thanks!

=)

Candace said...

Karen, that is such a great way to look at adversity. It shows that you have a lot of spiritual maturity in this area. When I am "in the fire", so to speak, it is very difficult to see how there could ever be a positive result from what I am going through. Thank you for the encouraging post today.

Team Chastain said...

OK Karen...seriously WOW! This post is spot-on in my opinion and something I actually needed to read. I need to remember to thank my Father in heaven for the lessons He has taught me...because He thought I was worth the effort. This is one of those posts that I'm bookmarking so I can re-read it when I need a little reminder that the wolf is sometimes a sheep, and not always the other way around.
Thanks!! Love ya!!

Michelle in a shell said...

Lovely post. Thanks for showing a different side of adversity.

B i r g i t t a said...

I like this picture a lot - love the perspective - find a place to grow :)