Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Whatever Happened To Dick, Jane and Sally?

This post is being inspired by an addition to our family.  Tom's niece just gave birth to a baby boy last week.
As a teacher I am come across some weird unusual names for kids.  I have had a Heaven, Wisdom and a Lucky.  I have also know of kids named Ever, Wish and Mister.  I don't know how these names came about.

I guess it could come from the movie stars.  We have Bruce Willis kids name Rumer,Scout,and Tullulah.Then there is Gwyneth Paltow's daughter named Apple.

As I mentioned earlier, Tom's niece just had a baby and named him Walls.

I am not trying to make fun of people or to criticize but I have to wonder where and why people come up with these names.

What unusual names have you heard of?

5 comments:

The Bipolar Diva said...

I think Whisper would have to be the most unusual I've come across. When you posted the title of Dick, Jane and Sally it took me back to first grade with those books. I found them on the internet for my kids when they were learning to read. Memories!

Susan Anderson said...

Walls, huh? That's definitely one I haven't heard. Is it short for Wally?

;)

PS. Seriously, though, it's like they're so desperate for something "new" that they are searching pretty far afield!

Grandma Honey said...

Speaking of which...I've been looking everywhere for Dick and Jane bed sheets. They sold them a few years back but no one has them now.

JJ said...

I am convinced it is an attempt to bestow self-esteem upon children. Parents want their children to be individuals, and they believe the name recognition will provide it. Perhaps, society should couple the names with some good old-fashioned values so we can prosper through the future. Merry Christmas to you and yours.

Yenta Mary said...

I think it's important to consider whether the child's name will lead to teasing, whether it can be pronounced and spelled properly ... you don't want your kid cursing you for decades over all the inconveniences and miseries just because YOU thought it'd be fun to give him/her an eccentric name! As one of those girls who shares a name with half the planet, I'm all for unique; but it's gotta be within reason ....