Saturday, May 12, 2012

Mother's Day Thoughts




Over the years I have had mixed emotions on the subject of Mother's Day.  As a child I don't think I really thought much of it.  It wasn't until I got to be a young adult that I began to have any feelings one way or the other.   I didn't like it.  I was sad because I wasn't married and wasn't a mother.  Then when I got married, I became an instant mother but wasn't emotionally ready for it.  Just lets say  it wasn't easy.  Then when I became a mother to Daniel, it wasn't a normal experience.  He had special needs and I was sending him off to a special school  at about 1.5 or 2.  Usually you send them to school at 5.  Then when he turned 5 we made the decision to place him in a group home.  (it is wonderful)

So for several years, I was on a pity trip because of everything and because I couldn't be a mother again.  I have a genetic thing that I could pass on.  So pretty risky.

One day my mother had a talk with me and told me that Mother's Day isn't about me and weather I was a mother or not.  It was a day to remember and honor your mother and how wonderful she is.  That has made all the difference in the world.

As I was pondering Mother's Day, its meaning and my mother, many thoughts came to my mind.  I have been really blessed to have her as my mother.  She broke the cycle of abuse and allowed my brothers and I to have a good and peaceful life.  There was never really any drama in our home.  I am glad of that because I am not sure I could have dealt with it very well.

She always loved me for me and always excepted me as I was.  She has always given good advise and many great views of the things of life.  She has always had a positive attitude towards life despite the hardships she has faced.

I am thankful to God for allowing me to be born to my mother, Nellie.

9 comments:

Breathing In Grace said...

Happy Mother's Day, Ms. Karen. HOPE you have a blessed day!

JJ said...

You are very special, indeed, Ms. Karen. Happy Mother's Day.

Tracy said...

Karen, that was lovely! and I'm glad your views changed of mother's day. While it is a day to honor my mom, I also honor all the mother 'figures' who have loved and nurtured me; teachers, my therpists and Grandma...the word mother can encompass many individuals...I hope you have a blessed day!

Christie Cottage said...

This morning when I got up, I looked to heaven and said "Happy Mother's Day Mom". I felt OK after I said it.

Thinking back at how my Mom was and especially on Mother's Day versus me on Mother's Day.. what a difference.

I can remember seeing mothers with kids who they took care of every day and then on Mother's Day, the husband ignored them and it was all about his Mom. Well, listen up husbands!!! Your wife, the mother of your children deserves to be pampered too. She doesn't stop being the mother of your household on Mother's Day.


Now that all my kids are grown, I am thankful for a text message or an email. Just a little remembrance. Other women say "they didn't do this?? They didn't do that???" I just smile and say I remember being their age. They remembered me and that is all that matters! I did actually get a gift this year. When I came home from church my oldest son had been here and left me a 12 pack of Coca-Cola! What an awesome gift!

SO I feel sad in missing my Mom, but she is with my Dad and Mother's Day in heaven must be spectacular!

Wishing you HIS blessings!

<><

Grandma Honey said...

Nellie is the best. So many love her including me!

Susan Anderson said...

I agree that the best thing to focus on for Mother's Day is your own mother.

From what I've seen on your blog, you are a wonderful mother yourself!

=)

momto8 said...

what a great role model for you!

Yenta Mary said...

You have a wonderful mother who taught you how to be a wonderful and unselfish mother - taking care of your children according to their, not necessarily your own, needs. Karen, you are such a treasure, partly because of your mom and the great job she did raising you, but also because of simply who you are, with your generous heart and your abundance of love ... :)

Rachael said...

Glad to hear that you're coming to terms with Mother's Day. It would be difficult for anyone to step into an instant family (especially one with two teenagers!), so be gentle with yourself. I've always admired your Mom. She seems to offer very good insight.