Monday, April 14, 2014

524 5th Avenue

524 5th Avenue was known as Nannie's house.  It has always been my true home base.  If I were a salmon this is where I would come to.  It has always been here.  It is the one thing in my life that never really changed.  In fact when you would go into the house, everything was always in the same place and it was the last time I was there.

The house has been in our family for many years. (since the mid 1800's)  This is the first time that someone in our family won't own it.  Grandpa died in 1991 and Nannie died in 1999.  My uncle has lived there and he let the house get into great disrepair.  (he is now in a care home at 69)  Anyway, the only way to save the house was to sell it.  No one could afford to fix it.  But on the bright side, some very good people bought it and they will fix it up really nice.

It is hard to let 524 go but it also has taught me that the important things in life don't change.  I will always treasure my memories and time spent at 524 5th Avenue.

7 comments:

Grandma Honey said...

What sweet sweet memories you must have there. Did you take pictures of the inside?

Kim@stuffcould.... said...

We have been going through the same thing with dads house....fortunately a family member may buy and repair it. Love having those memories

Susan Anderson said...

It's always hard to say these goodbyes, isn't it? But at least you like the people who bought it. That always helps me a lot.

=)

Mimi Sue said...

When my grandma died we had to sell her little farm and it was a very hard thing to do. I know what you're going through! Mimi

Grammy Staffy said...

I know how you feel. I'm sorry.

New Jersey Memories said...

It is really hard to let go of the people and places that you love. My mom just died last month so I'm going through a similar sad time.

Just remember the wonderful memories and times that you shared with your grandma. They will stay with you forever.

Kerin said...

You are certainly going through a lot right now.
Take time to breath, and focus on the good times and good memories.... it will help soften the sadness.

Take a lot of pictures too. Maybe make a mini scrapbook with the pictures, and your favorite memories.

K.