Saturday, October 27, 2012

My Heart Is Full

So much has happened in the past week or so.  A week ago I was honored by my friend's family to come to the hospital to visit Arva in ICU.  As I had the honor of standing by her bedside,  I could tell that she was hovering between here and there.  I felt so honored to be invited to be with her in her final moments here on this earth.  I was again honored to be allowed to knell with her family and some friends as a prayer was said.

During the night I was told that she had chosen to go because she had grown all she could here and in order for her to grow any more, she needed to go on to the next life.  I am so grateful for the knowledge that she isn't really gone.  She is still growing and learning.

I was asked by the family to participate in dressing her body for burial.  I have never done this before.  I feel so honored to be able to do this.

I feel so blessed to have known Arva.  She really helped me to grow and become a better person.  I will always be grateful for that.

4 comments:

Lucy said...

It sounds like you have experienced a wonderful,special and deep moment in a loved one's life. We all struggle with losing our loved ones and the idea of our own life ending moment and even though you know you will miss your friend terribly you are focusing on your faith and that is not always easy during our sadness.

Susan Anderson said...

What a lovely experience, and it is quite an honor to be asked to dress her with the family. Sounds like you are pretty much considered *part* of the family!

They are lucky to have you, and I'm glad you were able to support each other through this loss.

=)

Debby@Just Breathe said...

Sounds like a very moving and emotional time for you. I have a friend whose sister in law had passed and she was invited to help with the dressing of the body for burial. ((HUGS))

Becky Jane said...

Your attitude is such an inspiration. It is an amazing experience to help dress someone. I was able to help dress my mother when she passed away. Doing her hair and makeup just the way she liked it was an important duty that my sisters and I took to heart. HUGS for you this week and always.